Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Royal Gorge in Canon City, CO


This is the famous Royal Gorge bridge - very high up!

See that little red box car in the middle of the picture? That is what we rode across the gorge in.


Here it is from inside...

And a view from it...see how little that big river looks running through the gorge?

Big Elk!

Ahhh, the walk across the bridge.


Each state had a flag on the bridge, here the kids are by the Alabama flag.

July 8, 2009
We took a break from riding four wheelers in the middle of the week of our week long Colorado vacation to go see the famous Royal Gorge. We rode the sky railway car over the gorge first, then saw some Elk and buffalo, enjoyed the amazing views, crossed back over the gorge by foot - the dreaded walk across the bridge, and then we rode the Sliver Rock train. The sky car was really a smooth ride. I expected it to sway and rock, but not at all! Very cool. We stood by an open window so I could take pictures of course! The elk we saw had the most massive rack I had ever seen! I have no idea how that animal keeps its head upright. Only God could orchestrate something like that! Now the bridge was not too bad...I did notice early on that you can see through the 1/2" wooden slats that you walk on, to offer you a view of STRAIGHT DOWN - no thanks- I just chose not to look between those slats so I could enjoy the wonderful views. Clayton wanted me to hurry up and take his picture so he could scoot on off as quick as possible, the others were just fine with it all. It was a little unnerving when a car would drive by though, as the car would cause the bridge to sway a bit - ugghh. But, we survived it, lived to tell about it, and loved it.

No comments: